Civil Road Traffic Collision claims

Civil Road Traffic Collision claims

Civil Road Traffic Collision claims

If you have been involved in a road traffic collision (RTC) – also often referred to as a road traffic accident (RTA) – you can claim compensation against the driver who hit you.

Whether you were a motorist in another vehicle, a passenger, cyclist or pedestrian, if you were injured or suffered out of pocket expenses, you are able to claim.

What can I claim for?

If you were injured in an RTC, you can claim compensation for your pain and suffering. This is known as a claim for general damages.

You can also claim back the costs of out-of-pocket expenses such as loss of earnings, loss of potential future income or the cost of specialist private health care; for example physiotherapy, or any equipment or adaptations required to help your recuperation. This type of claim is referred to as special damages.

Additionally, we can help with recovering ‘uninsured losses’ that are typically not covered by motor insurance providers; examples include your policy excess, damaged clothing, mobile phones, laptops etc. which may have suffered damage in the collision. 

What if the at-fault driver didn’t have insurance or cannot be traced?

You can still make a claim for compensation even if you were involved in a hit and run or the driver was later found to have no insurance. In the UK, an organisation known as the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, into which all motor vehicle insurance companies contribute funds, pays out compensation to people who have been hit by uninsured drivers, or who were the victim of a hit and run accident.

Motorcyclists involved in RTCs

If you are a motorcyclist who has been involved in an RTC, it is important to seek advice from a specialist law firm that understands your particular needs.

Our lawyers include individuals who are motorcyclists themselves. As such, they have a unique understanding of both motoring laws and the challenges faced by bikers.

Over the years, we have brought successful claims on behalf of motorcyclists who have been injured or suffered serious damage to their bikes as a result of poorly maintained road surfaces or incidents where farmers have dumped mud on the road and have failed to clear up after.

Our legal team also specialise in supporting motorcyclists who have been involved in RTCs involving filtering where a car driver has suddenly changed lane or failed to indicate, resulting in a collision.

How can Palmers help?

The police may seek to bring a criminal prosecution if a driver is found to have acted carelessly or drove in a dangerous manner.  However, legal action to recover compensation is dealt with under civil law.

At Palmers, we are experienced in dealing with both criminal and civil motoring law matters. If you are seeking compensation following an RTC, please get in touch with us to find out how we can help you receive legal redress for injuries or financial losses you have suffered.


Commercial Hub, Basildon

Supervising Director & Money Laundering Reporting Officer,
Criminal Defence & Road Traffic Offences


Make an Enquiry

Our specialist team of solicitors have the experience and approach you need. Contact us today.

Get in touch